Durham Home has been redefining independent living for women for over 75 years by providing "a ladies home" with luxurious services and abundant amenities.
Durham Home was built circa 1900 on Main Street just west of town in Crawfordsville, Indiana as a residence for Sarah E. and George T. Durham. Both George and Sarah were civic minded and well respected members of the community. They were married for 44 years until George's passing in February 1937. Sarah died later that same year in July.
Sarah had a vision of providing a home for women with a genteel, home-like, comfortable environment. She left provisions in her will for her beautiful home to become "A Ladies Home," named "Durham Home" in memory of herself and her husband. She established a Trust from the income of the Durham Farms to provide for the maintenance of the home. The farms were sold in recent years, however the proceeds from the sale continue to fund the maintenance of the home.
Durham Home Inc., a 501 (c) 3 foundation, was incorporated in 1944 as the beneficiary of the Durham Home Trust and the administrator of the home. Sarah's nieces, Mary Walter MIller and Annie O'Neall Roundtree, were the first managers of the home. The home was open to residents in 1944. An addition with six bedrooms and an elevator was added to the home in the 1950's. The latest renovation in 2011 incorporated private attached bathrooms in all the apartments. For over 75 years, Durham Home has been a home to over one hundred happy, independent women and will continue to be the home of choice for many years to come.